Public Information Notice
Information obligation under § 8a of the 12th German Federal Immission Protection Ordinance (BImSchV) according to Annex 5 on the subject: "Public Information Notice"
1. KLB Kötztal Lacke + Beschichtungen GmbH
Managing Directors: Artur Kehrle, Patrick Kehrle ppa., Dr Julian Kehrle ppa.
Phone +49 (0) 8223-9692-0
Fax +49 (0) 8223-9692-100
2. The operating area is subject to the provisions of the 12th German Federal Immission Protection Ordinance (BImSchV). On 26 March 2010, the relevant authority received the notification pursuant to Article 7 paragraph 1 prior to the start of construction, and granted the permit to commission on 30 March 2011.
3. KLB Kötztal Lacke + Beschichtungen GmbH produces liquid synthetic resins for diverse applications in the building chemistry and industrial sector. The company’s main product range are coating systems for commercial and industrial flooring. On such floors, very different requirements in terms of colour, surface structure, resistance, etc. are posed.
4. At KLB Kötztal GmbH, substances and groups of substances that fall under the Hazardous Incident Ordinance are stored and processed. Because of the constant delivery and outgoing of goods, the exact number of products present on the premises as well as the quantity of the individual substances changes daily. As KLB Kötztal primarily uses smaller quantities, we are subject to the subclass of the Major Accidents Ordinance. Epoxy resins, acrylic resins, amine hardeners and isocyanates are the main groups of substances used. In general, these pose the following hazards:
- Epoxy resins: These substances have an irritating effect on eyes and skin. They affect the skin in a sensitising way. They also pose a risk to the environment as being toxic to aquatic organisms.
- Polymethacrylic resins: These substances have an irritant effect on the skin and may cause allergic skin reactions. They are also inflammable.
- Polyamine hardeners: Contact with these substances has a caustic effect on skin and eyes. They are harmful if swallowed and exposed to aquatic organisms. Allergic skin reactions may occur occasionally.
- Polyisocyanates: Inhalation of these substances may irritate the respiratory tract and cause allergic skin reactions. May lead to allergies, asthma-like symptoms or breathing difficulties if inhaled.
The substances in use that have a major incident relevance are processed directly by physical mixing in small quantities, as described under point 3. There are only as many chemicals on site as absolutely necessary. Written work instructions are available for all processes.
5. We constantly determine the relevant classifications for the raw materials used and the specified rules of conduct. We do the same for our products. The manufacturing processes at the site are checked for the probability of potential incidents as well as for possible risk reduction. The storage is demand-oriented so that the amount of hazardous materials is kept as low as possible, taking into account the production requirements. KLB Kötztal GmbH also has a regularly updated alarm and danger prevention plan which specifies the behaviour in an emergency. In order to avoid incidents and to ensure a correct behaviour in an emergency, our employees are regularly instructed. Furthermore, the company has a fire alarm system in all production areas which, in the event of a fire, immediately issues a corresponding message both locally and via direct connection to the integrated control centre Donau-Iller.
In case of an incident, the company immediately informs the responsible authorities who initiate the next actions according to their emergency response plan in order to limit the effects beyond the plant boundaries.
6. The last on-site inspection by the District Office Günzburg took place on 19 October 2021. No deficiencies were found with regard to the Major Accidents Ordinance.
If you require further information about our safety measures and the correct behaviour in the event of an incident, please do not hesitate to contact us.
Mr Artur Kehrle, Dipl.-Ing. (FH), Managing Director
Mr Edgar Müller, Occupational Safety Officer
Download: Public Information Notice